The Christmas season is here! It is the perfect time to whip up a batch of one of the easiest desserts to make: the no-cook ref cake. Here’s my version of the ref cake, using fruit cocktail as topping.
Ingredients:1 packet graham crackers 1 can condensed milk 1 can cream 1 packet all purpose cream 1 small can fruit cocktail
1. In a bowl, combine all three milk ingredients.
2. Mix milk ingredients thoroughly with a spoon or whisk until no visible solids remain.
3. Drain the fruit cocktail well and set aside in another bowl. Prepare a container for the ref cake. Here, I am using an old ice cream tub which will hold 9 squares of graham crackers nicely.
4. Start layering. Begin by putting a flat layer of graham crackers on the bottom of the tub. Scoop in spoonfuls of the milk mixture until the layer of graham crackers is fully covered. Make sure that the sides are attended as well. Distribute fruit cocktail onto the milk layer.
5. Continue layering until you run out of milk mixture and fruit cocktail. Try to make sure that you evenly distribute the fruit cocktail among all the layers. In this ice cream tub, I was able to make three layers.
6. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. I recommend a full 4 hours to make sure that the milk mixture bonds with the graham crackers and create a relatively solid cake. Serve cold.
This ref cake recipe is very versatile. You can substitute any topping you like instead of using the small can of fruit cocktail. Standard toppings are in-season fruits like mangoes, peaches, and strawberries, and chocolate derivatives like crushed oreos.
I like to prepare a cake (or several) during the Christmas season. It’s perfect for potluck parties or even for giveaways or gifts. And with an estimated cost of around Php170 per cake, you wouldn’t have to be guilty to enjoy it for yourself too.